As the local chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators, membership in the PLAA provides opportunities to network with colleagues and business partners, and offers key educational opportunities to further develop skills required for the effective legal management professional.
- Throughout the year, PLAA offers timely and relevant educational opportunities for our members. If you are in a management position in a private law firm or the legal department of a corporation or non-profit organization, PLAA offers legal specific educational and training opportunities. Programs include topics on Information Technology, Human Resources, law firm profitability, policies and practices, along with leadership training.
Members Only Communication Opportunities
- The PLAA maintains an active Listserve where you can post questions regarding vendors, management procedures or policies, or other general questions, to tap the collective knowledge of other legal management professionals.
- Membership includes five general lunch meetings with a wide range of speakers and the opportunity to network with fellow PLAA members. General meetings are held the third Wednesday of February, June, September, November and December at noon at the Rivers Club. The cost for lunch at the general meetings is $30.
- The PLAA annually conducts a compensation and benefits survey of member firms and companies, providing the results at no cost to participants. The survey results constitute a great source of information regarding compensation and benefits in the region’s law firms and law departments, and can prove helpful in benchmarking everything from salaries and staff ratios to expected productivity levels.
Certified Legal Manager Program (CLM)
- ALA’s Certified Legal Manager (CLM)SM program provides the opportunity to demonstrate that you have mastered the knowledge, skills, and abilities to operate at a high level of expertise in the field of legal management.
Business Partnership Program
- The PLAA builds and cultivates relationships with business partners devoted to supporting the needs of law firms. An annual PLAA Business Partner Vendor Exposition is held in June, and is an informative event that benefits members both professionally and socially. The organization holds other social events to connect our members and business partners committed to supporting the business of law.
- Throughout the year members have opportunities to participate in a range of community service projects supported by the organization, including the annual Thanksgiving Turkey drive which benefits the Greater Pittsburgh Food Bank and many local families.
Cost of Membership versus Value of Membership
Cost of Membership = $125.00
Value of Membership = $554.00
- Four (4) educations sessions (free to members) = $100
- Professional Photograph from Jen Barker = $154
- Compensation Survey = estimated $250 value
- Business Partner events (free to members) = $50